About the District
The Tioga County Soil and Water Conservation District was created on November 27, 1944, and is one of the 58 Soil and Water Conservation District located in New York State.
A Board of Directors made up of representatives from Grange, the Farm Bureau, two County legislators, and an At-large member governs the District. The current Board of Directors is made up by:
- John King, Chairperson, Grange Representative
- Robert Aman, Vice-Chairperson, Farm Bureau Representative
- Ronald Dougherty, District Treasurer, Director At Large
- Dale Weston, County Legislator Representative
- Ron McEwen, County Legislator Representative
The District is governed by a Board of Directors who hold monthly meetings at the Tioga County office building on every 3rd Wednesday at 1:00 PM. The public is always invited to attend these meetings.
The District is operated by five full-time staff members and one USC staff person. The positions are currently held by:
- Wendy Walsh - District Manager
- Blanche Delaney – Executive Secretary
- Andy Breese – AEM Specialist
- Mike Jura – Conservation District Technician
- Jeff Barnes – Conservation District Technician
- Alex Marks – USC Technician
The District staff members are committed to providing technical assistance to the residents of Tioga County in the areas of soil, water, and other natural resource conservation issues.
The Natural Resources Conservation Service works closely with the SWCD on many projects and activities. NRCS employees are stationed in the USDA Service Center located at 109A Chemung Street, Waverly, NY 14892.
- Tom Lasater - District Conservationist (Tioga & Chemung Counties)
- Ciro LoPinto – Soil Conservationist (Tioga & Chemung Counties)
In addition to assisting landowners with their natural resource conservation questions the District offers many services. These include:
- Land Classification for Ag assessment
- Hydro-seeding (seeding critical areas, lawns)
- No Till Drill Rental
- Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plans
- Nutrient Analysis - Manure and Soil
- Pond Management Advice
- Tire Sidewall Cutter Rental
- Tree and Shrub Seedling Conservation
- Planting Sale
- Water Testing
- GIS Mapping
There is a fee for these services except for pond management advice. Please contact the Conservation District office for details on these programs.